January 13th, 2016
What is Power?
Power is an elusive concept. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as “the ability or right to control people or things.” Of course that raises the question of what is meant by “control.” Control is defined as directing the behavior of, or to cause a person to do something. Power can also exist even though it may not be exercised, simply because having power can discourage others from challenging it.
Not easy, nor straightforward. So you can just imagine the healthy debate we had as to what criteria should be used in creating such a list. But we all agree what this is not. It is not a popularity contest. It is a not casual quick selection of people you know. It is not based solely on head count, office count or revenue, and it is not pay-to-play.
In the end, the SP200 is based on a great deal of research. We scoured the Web, read hundreds of bios, read hundreds of LinkedIn pages, sent hundreds of requests for additional information, made endless telephone calls to verify or confirm statistics, and cross-referenced data with surveys and reviewed company financials, and annual reports, and announcements. In short, we did more homework than anyone else does.
So after some 400 hours of evaluation, eight members of the SP200 Editorial Committee got together for a face-off to deliberate the nominees (see VIDEO here). Some people have entrepreneurial power, and some have financial strength, some hold high office, some have personal power, some have positional power while others have political clout. Some are innovators, some executives, some doers, some dealmakers. It doesn’t matter. We have tried to analyze them all and listed leaders in nine different categories – check the tabs at the top of the page.
Congrats to our very own CEO & Founder Raj Qsar for being named to the SP200 for 2016. Honoring The Most Powerful 200 People in Residential Real Estate for the category of Social Media Influencers.
By: Raj Qsar
This will be my 7th Real Estate Connect hosted by Inman News and it is the one event I look forward to year in & year out. I remember my first Connect like it was yesterday and it really helped me connect with people & solidify connections I had made online over the years. So for all you first time or repeat attendees here is a simple Top 7 list before you head to #icny for the 20th Anniversary of Real Estate Connect:
1. Make a list of the people you want to meet “in real life (IRL).” Connect is an amazing time to solidify some of those online relationships and connect with people who you admire and respect and make that true emotional connection. Some of the connections I have made at Connect have become life long friends on mine! Remember this quote from GaryV, “People are not addicted to social media. People are addicted to people.” Some of my friends I met at #icsf: @katielance @sethstuff @laurahbrady @vboakland @sarasutachan @nobuhata @chris_smth @avhellman @lauramonroe @mattbeall @lisaarcher @lauriewdavis @jefflobb @jackmiller @valeriegarcia1 @zachshadbot @matthewshadbolt @seancarp @clicknfinance @thejayt @joeschutt
2. Attend the sessions that are a must attend for you! Look for the sessions that pull you out of your comfort zone and will challenge you on a personal & professional level. See the full schedule here and meet the speakers here. This year Seth Godin will be kicking off the festivities so be sure not to miss him on main stage on Wednesday morning at 9:15am.
3. Have you joined the Inman Coast to Coast Facebook Group? If not join here for all the latest updates & play by plays.
4. The Party after the Party! Do I need to say anymore? We all know the real fun starts after 10pm! So just ask around, jump in an Uber Cab (download app here) and find out where the action is!! Check your email for last minute invites to all the happening VIP parties and events. If you still can not find the party make sure to tweet @clicknfinance or @seancarp (they will steer you in the right direction or lead you to the correct karaoke party).
5. Lobbycon! Yes. Its official! Probably the one place where you meet the CEO’s, Founders, Presidents, movers & shakers all just “hanging out.” Bring your business cards and make sure to say hi. BTW, when is the next time you will be in the same hotel as Dolly Lentz, F. Ron Smith, Mauricio Umansky, Spencer Rascoff and Brad Inman?
6. Get out into the city! New York is an amazingly gorgeous city with sights, sounds, history and killer food! And since our team at The Boutique Real Estate Group are total foodies check out this list of 100 Best Restaurants in New York City via Zagat. Or if you want to get up in the air check out FlyNYON for a helicopter tour above the city.
7. Connect with some of the local “NYC” agents for a tour of their hip office space or one of their $7m listings! Some of my favorite local NYC agents include: @NikkiBeauchamp @patricklilly @truegotham
If you made it this far and are headed to ICNY please find me in one of the sessions, lobbycon or at one of the after parties. Would be amazing to connect with you!
By: Raj Qsar
This will be my 4th Real Estate Connect hosted by Inman News in San Francisco and it is the one event I look forward to year in & year out. I remember my first Connect like it was yesterday and it really helped me connect with people & solidify connections I had made online over the years. So for all you first time or repeat attendees here is a simple Top 5 list for you before you head to #icsf:
1. Make a list of the people you want to meet “in real life (IRL).” Connect is an amazing time for me personally to connect with people who I admire and respect and make that true IRL connection. Some of the connections I have made at Connect have become life long friends on mine! Remember this quote from GaryV, “People are not addicted to social media. People are addicted to people.” Some of my friends I met at #icsf: @chris_smth @katielance @lauramonroe @tericonrad @debra11 @kellymitchell @nobuhata @topbrokeroc @kendyl @jefflobb @tkjellander @lisaarcher @lauriewdavis @jimmymackin @sethstuff
2. Attend the sessions that are a must attend for you! Look for the sessions that pull you out of your comfort zone and will challenge you on a professional level. See the full schedule here. For me I always get something new from “The New Kids On The Block” session which this year is on Wednesday July 16th at 10:10am and these “KIDS” are the startups that are changing the real estate game. Also of note this year is “The Uberification of Real Estate” session which is on Wednesday at 10:30am (sounds killer)! Did someone say Luxury? The session called Luxury Power Players will be off the kilt! Connect Here.
3. Meet the 2014 Inman Connect Ambassadors. Talk about a fab list of people! If you could create a memory with each of these rockstars at Connect it would truly be epic! Meet them here –> Real Estate Connect Ambassadors. Secret hint….They are having a mixer and you can meet them all there —> Click Here. Also, connect with everyone in the Real Estate Connect facebook group.
4. The Party after the Party! Do I need to say anymore? We all know the real fun starts after 10pm! So just ask around, jump in an Uber Cab (download app here) and find out where the action is!! Check your email for last minute invites to all the happening VIP parties and events. If you do not know where the party is just ask my friend @JeremyLehman!! Check out the video we made from ICSF2012.
5. Get out into the city! San Francisco is truly a gorgeous city with sights, sounds and killer food!!! Check out this drone fly over the city just in case you needed a visual! Click Here. And since our team at The Boutique Real Estate Group are total foodies check out this list of The 38 Essential San Francisco Restaurants.
If you made it this far here is my Top Secret List of must meets. Shhhhh, do not tell anyone. I am really shy and do not want anyone to know! =)
Written By: Raj Qsar
Leaving the comforts of Orange County have never really been to easy for me. I am a creature of habit. Not sure when that started or why it started but it just did. Personally, I would rather vacation at The Montage in Laguna Beach than fly to some 5 star resort in the Caribbean. But, this trip for me to Vancouver was just full of memories that I will keep with me for a long time.
The Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) is a nonprofit professional trade organization dedicated to promoting sustainable homeownership opportunities in Asian American communities by creating a powerful national voice for housing and real estate professionals that serve this dynamic market.
I had the opportunity to be invited to speak at AREAA Vancouver this past week and this conference had a heavy luxury presence and a heavy international presence. And I had the opportunity to take away a few gems and here they are:
1. “The market goes up & down but SERVICE lives forever.” This quote was by my friend Nobu Hata, Director of Digital Engagement for The National Association of Realtors. And this is so very true! More than ever we are living “in the moment.” We, as Realtors are expected to reply at a moments notice at all times of the day. And we do. Its just in our DNA to provide this level of exceptional care & attention and when it is executed our clients will continue to look to us for support.
2. “Give your clients something they can NOT google.” Once again Nobu is on a roll here. This really resonated with me because saying “just google it” is totally acceptable in our culture now. But if you are able to give your heart & soul to your clients and provide amazing knowledge & service (not found on Google) you will earn the trust of your clients.
3. Think Globally Locally. Love love love this from my friend Teri Conrad! You really need to understand not only worldwide economies but also worldwide customs. For example, the way you accept a card from a potential client, what you do with the card and where you put it after you have read it. This was truly eye opening for me. Having your website in multiple languages, having a country code on your cell number or office number and incorporating this into all the things yo do. This matters!
4. Destination Marketing. As agents we are required to do so much. Know so much. And execute so much. What we as agents have to do is beyond the upper limits of what is possible in this day & age. So…..what if you had a team of creatives that could take care of all the creative work for you on your luxury listing? What if this group of creatives could fly anywhere in the world to do all the super-smart thinking for you and then assist on the digital push out to all channels and add your smiley happy face on the marketing content? I…LOVE…IT! Please check this out —> HaleAlii
5. Competitive Immunity. This little nugget of inspiration hit me while I was on MobileAgentTV with my friends Michael Thorne, Teri Conrad & Tony Joe. By doing the little things each & every day and doing them at a level that exceeds 99.9% of other agents in your Global Hyperlocal Market you will be successful and your clients will love you.
CONNECT: REAL ESTATE TECHNOLOGY & THE LUXURY MARKET
• NETWORK with hundreds of global industry leaders, practitioners from across North America.
• Enhance your understanding of LUXURY INVESTMENT STRATEGIES and advancements in TECHNOLOGIES.
• CONNECT with AREAA members and investors looking for real estate in Vancouver and across Canada.
• Participate in luxury real estate and technology sessions featuring industry leaders from AREAA, NAR and national brokerages.
JUST TO NAME A FEW OF THE SPEAKERS:
Ivan P. Choi – Chairman of AREAA
Nobu Hata – Director for NAR
Kelly Deck – Director for Kelly Deck Design
Ian MacLeod – President of LuxuryHomes.com
Tina Mak – President of AREAA Vancouver
Raj Qsar – Owner of The Boutique Real Estate Group
Janet Case – CEO of Proxio
Kathy Tsao – Manhattan Broker Douglas Elliman
TIME LOCATION & REGISTRATION:
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 – 8 am – 6 pm
At the Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver BC
1038 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC V6C 0B9, Canada
Fairmont Pacific Rim Vancouver Hotel Rooms available
Buy tickets at areaavancouver.com